The Belfast Hills Partnership were involved with The National Lottery Community Fund‘s project called ‘Our Bright Future’. Our Bright Future is a forward-thinking social movement that’s about supporting young people to lead progressive change in their communities and local environment.
Our Bright Future tackles environmental issues and the lack of opportunity for young people by using one problem to help another.
It’s about unleashing the potential of young people, so they can make a big, positive impact and become an unstoppable force for good.
The result? A lasting change in how we – as a society – value and invest in our social, human and natural capital.
OUR BRIGHT FUTURE LEGACY
Our Bright Future ran from 2016 until the end of 2022. An evaluation of the programme as a whole found that:
- 128,000 young people were involved in the programme
- 95% of participants felt their confidence had improved during the programme
- 86% said taking part improved their mental health
- Young people improved more than 3,000 community spaces and created over 350 nature-rich areas for people and wildlife
The project has shown that engaging young people in the environment and conservation has created benefits for young people. Young people were consistently found to be more confident, skilled, happier and able to find work through their involvement in the programme. The key outcomes for young people were:
- Improved mental health and wellbeing
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- New skills and knowledge
- Increased employability and enhanced or influenced career aspirations